Here’s a pro salad-jar tip: Pack your heavy ingredients (like chicken or other protein) at the bottom with dressing to ensure your greens and veggies stay crisp.
Makes: 4 jars
Prep time: 15 minutes
For the Mustard-Thyme Vinaigrette
- 5 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 5 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the salad:
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 2 cups red grapes, halved
- 1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup shaved Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups spinach, roughly torn
1. Make Mustard-Thyme Vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, thyme and pepper. While whisking, slowly drizzle in oil until all oil is incorporated.
2. Divide Mustard-Thyme Vinaigrette equally among 4 pint-sized mason jars. Divide chicken over dressing. Layer remaining ingredients, ending with spinach (you may have to tightly pack spinach into jars). Top with lids and refrigerate up to 4 days. To serve, pour onto plate or bowl, stir and enjoy.
Still hungry? Try our other jarred salad recipes!
Lori is a Detroit-area food writer, recipe developer and restaurant reviewer. She’s usually found in the kitchen cooking up something that undoubtedly involves beets, lemons or coconut for her blog, Foxes Love Lemons. Check out more of her recipes here.