When most people gather around for Super Bowl Sunday, it’s typical to pair the event with appetizers, dishes, and desserts that are high in saturated fat, sodium, and cholesterol. But, it’s actually quite easy to serve up nutritious versions of common Super Bowl foods while satisfying even the heartiest of appetites. Try this chili, for example. Since it’s loaded with beans, veggies, and lean turkey, you’ve got yourself a winning meal when it comes to both health and taste.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 10 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 12 oz Lager beer*
- 2 14.5oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, carrots, and mushrooms until the onions turn golden brown and the carrots begin to soften – about 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, chili powder, oregano, and cumin and stir 1 minute.
3. Add the turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until meat loses its raw color – about 3 minutes.
4. Add the beer, and cover the pot. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes with their juices and the three kinds of beans. Simmer uncovered and stir occasionally until chili thickens – about 20 minutes.
Garnish chili with shredded cheddar cheese, non-fat plain Greek yogurt, avocado, or guacamole. Looking for some ideas for cornbread? Check out our Mini Cornbread Three Ways– perfect for a crowd!
*Note: If beer’s not your preference, feel free to sub with water or broth of your choice!
McKenzie Hall and Lisa Dixon are Registered Dietitians and authors of the Nourish RDs Blog on a mission to inspire others to eat real food, love their bodies, and laugh a lot! Their food philosophy is simple, “Eat
real food, and share it with those you love.”
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Enter coupon code NATURE for 25% off your first month subscription!