by Alex London-Gross, MPH, CHES
I love a good grilled cheese sandwich. Something about the nostalgia of eating them as a kid make it my ultimate comfort food. While I still enjoy a good old American cheese and white bread sandwich, it is also nice to have more “grown up” flavor combinations that are a little bit healthier.
I like to make my grilled cheese sandwiches in a skillet over medium heat. I usually butter my bread with a spread like Earthbalance or Smart Balance (just look for something that is free of trans fat and low in saturated fat), and cook each side for a few minutes until the bread is browned. You can also use olive oil or butter or spray to keep your grilled cheese from sticking. Putting a lid on the pan will also help the cheese melt.
Some of my favorite combinations are:
- Whole wheat bread with tomato, avocado and cheddar cheese (pictured)
- Multigrain bread with apples, honey and Gruyere cheese (pictured)
- French bread with figs and brie (pictured)
- Multigrain bread with roasted red pepper, spinach and goat cheese
- Whole wheat bread with tomato, pesto, and mozzarella cheese
What’s YOUR favorite way to eat a grilled cheese??
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Enter coupon code NATURE for 25% off your first month subscription!