Recipe by McKenzie & Lisa of Nourish RDs
This salad is delicious as an appetizer or side dish and as a great lunch option topped with chicken, salmon, or a whole grain (such as farro or quinoa). Massaging the kale with salt makes it more tender and sweet but since it is such a hearty green, you can make this salad one day and even enjoy it again the next day without the salad going soggy.
Serves 6 – 10
- 2 bunches kale, washed, stemmed and cut or torn into small strips
- Fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces aged goat cheese (such as goat gouda) or hard ricotta or pecorino romano, thinly sliced
- NatureBox Roasted Garlic Pumpkin Seeds or Smoky Pumpkin Seeds (for garnish)
For Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 3 TBSP lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon, if desired
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
To make the dressing, whisk together the lemon juice and zest, parsley, salt and pepper. Whisk in the extra virgin olive oil.
To make the salad, begin by massaging the kale. Place the washed, stemmed, and cut kale into a very large bowl. Sprinkle with salt (about ¼ teaspoon). Take your hands and crush and massage the kale leaves between your hands, until you see the kale turn a dark, shiny green.
Toss the massaged kale with the slice fennel, sliced radishes, and aged goat cheese. Pour vinaigrette over and toss again. Sprinkle with Pumpkin Seeds.
McKenzie Hall and Lisa Dixon are Registered Dietitians and authors of the Nourish RDs Blog on a mission to inspire others to eat real food, love their bodies, and laugh a lot! Their food philosophy is simple, “Eat
real food, and share it with those you love.”
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Enter coupon code NATURE for 25% off your first month subscription!