In spite of its moniker, simple syrup has somehow gotten the reputation of being a complex culinary trick. But fortunately, dissolving the sugar and water is done in a snap, and steeping in some fresh basil brings the result an extra level of oomph.
Prep time: 25 minutes plus chilling
For the Basil Simple Syrup:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup packed roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
For the Lemonade:
- 3 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped watermelon
- 1-1/2 cups fresh lemon juice
1. Make the Basil Simple Syrup: In small saucepot, stir together sugar, water and basil. Cook over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer; discard basil. Transfer to jar or container and refrigerate 4 hours or up to 5 days.
2. Make the Lemonade: In blender, puree water and watermelon until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer; discard solids.
3. Pour watermelon liquid into pitcher; add lemon juice and Basil Simple Syrup. Stir until well combined. Serve over ice immediately.
And check out our easy fruit recipes.
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Sign up today to get 50% off your first box!